This Page

has been moved to new address

I'll take potpourri for $10...

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Home is where you start from
Tuesday, May 08, 2007
I'll take potpourri for $10...
I can't really claim anything intellectual or spiritual sounding like a blogging break, the truth of the matter is more like a brain-numb-stupor... I've basically spent the last week announcing that I am going to work on catching up with my homeschool records, then aimlessly sorting and piling papers next to the computer. If I am brave, maybe I will post a picture. Maybe.
I did get my son's work all entered and up to date, but it is a small victory when you consider that out of the 3 students I have, the 1st grader generates the least amount of paperwork.
My goal next month is to have all 3 entered and up to date. I will throw some kind of serious party if I achieve this. Heck, Gracefulmom will probably throw me a party (she is the person who reports on all my ahem..record keeping). Hey Gracefulmom, next month it will be you and me at cheesecake factory to celebrate my end of rambling and disorderly conduct. There is a godiva cheesecake there with our name on it. I will triumph just in time for summer break...

Changing the subject, it's meme time! Joyful days tagged me last week for this meme:
a 7 Things About Me meme. I'm supposed to write seven random facts or habits about myself and then tag 7 other people to do the same, here goes:

7 random things about me

1) I couldn't pronounce 'discernment' until way past adulthood. I actually know lots of big words from my endless reading, but I am usually afraid to use them in a discussion for fear I will mispronounce them...like my misadventure with 'discernment'. (DH still teases me about that one)

2) I have diet coke for breakfast

3) darling husband takes me out on a date night once a week, forever- since our oldest child was a few months old. Smart man, I get this wild look in my eyes if he doesn't take me out somewhere.

4) Tonight was date night and DH treated me to a bacon cheddar cheeseburger at TGIF's and to a movie to see the new Spiderman movie. (it was awesome, if you like Spiderman!) we rarely go see a movie...the last one we saw at the theatre was Narnia...

5) We like the Spiderman movies, and I have read several of the Spiderman books. They were surprisingly good...(my engineer-husband turned me on to them, it's in the bylaws...all engineer majors must love Star-trek and Spiderman)

6) I won a prize at my sister's baby shower this weekend. We had to list names of baby animals, I was the only one to know that a baby swan is called a cygnet (not that I could be sure of how to pronounce that..but no one else knew how to either...) and that a baby owl is called an owlet.

7) I love bagels. I could live on bagels. I am dying for a chocolate chip bagel with strawberry cream cheese right this very minute. And a diet coke. of course.

Now the hard part...I have to tag 7 people...
I will tag: An OC Sitcom, Lindsey, Susanne, Cyndi, Jeana, Melissa, and Heather

Last thought;

Our son Demi-Sky has been into dragons lately. He has put aside his goal of growing up to be Spiderman (at least for now) and has announced that he plans to be a dragon hunter when he grows up. He has asked me to teach him how to read maps, a very important skill to have-to be hunting dragons...and apparently little sister Amie is to be his sidekick. She reminded Demi today in the van, out of the blue, that they needed to remember to bring plates for dinner when they go dragon hunting. As a homeschool mom, I am trying to jump all over this teachable, delight-driven moment. I need to dig out or buy a new map reading skills books, and Demi has me reading this book: Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher- to him every chance he can catch me. I am planning on reading "My father's dragon" to him next. Anyone else have any good suggestions?



Labels: , , ,


posted at 1:21 AM
11 comments


11 Comments:
At 5:41 AM, Blogger Amy said...

Ahh, big words from reading. We have the same problem at our house. I'm pretty sure the baby swan is said "sig-net." I'm stretching my poor little mind back to college when we studied the Cygnus constellation in Astronomy.

And speaking of constellations and dragons, there is one called Draco that's a dragon.

As for dragon books, the only ones I could think of are Eragon (which I've never read, so can't recommend one way or the other, and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader from the Narnia series (where Eustace turns into a dragon because he has become too greedy).

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger Susanne said...

I love bagels and that chocolate and strawberry one sounds divine. I usually crave the multigrain with garlic herb cream cheese. Gotta be toasted, too.

I'll do this this week.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Joyful Days said...

You know I have the same thing with big words. I know them, I just don't want to say them out loud. Either I will sound weird or like I think I am smart.

We love My Father's Dragon; there are more books in the series. We haven't gotten to them yet.

Boo has a book called The Book of Dragons, a compilation of tales, including St. George and the Dragon--editor & illustrator, Michael Hague.

Roo's read Eragon and is working his way through Eldest.

We've watched the Dragonheart movies--don't know that everyone would love those.

Thanks for playing!! I'll go visit your "tag-ees."

Julie

 
At 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jenny, Thing 1 likes dragons, too. She has a book called "Dragonology" that we got at Costco that she really likes. One thing I wanted to mention is that you might want to do some pre-reading when you choose dragon books for Rand because they can have a lot of mysticism in them. (which seems obvious, doesn't it - but I just like to make sure the good vs. evil is clear when choosing books).

 
At 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband has teased me about my lack of ability in pronouncing since we met. All of my vocabulary (except for basic words) comes from my reading and I have no ear for sounds-meanoing that even if I hear It I can't remember how to say it.

My husband is a programmer and has adored spireman since infancy. :) When he was a child (before vcrs) he quit drum lessons because they were on during Spiderman. :)

Dragons!!! We LOVE dragons. E.Nesbit wrote about dragons, all the time and her books are brilliant. The only one I can think of that is not about dragons and can can be found at the library (lots are out of print) is The Railway Children which is nearly about a dragon but not quite. I would also recommend The Hobbit, The Reluctant Dragon, The Never Ending Story, and Ogden Nash's Custard the Dragon--it's a poem but there are several illustrated versions that are too funny. Ther eis also one about a little girl who hatches dragons--the title is something about Baby Dragon Eggs or the like and is, I think , in the LMNOP section of the children's picture books at the library--I am pretty sure O but it might be M. With those and E.NEsbit you will be in dragon books for some for years. (We read aloud nightly and Esther--the middle, adores dragons and for years would only listen to chapter books if dragons were involved.

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Cyndi said...

Oh, this was so fun to read! I've got a word I usually say wrong, but it's a Texas twang thang... it may be one of my 7 facts. Thanks for tagging me! :)

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Hen Jen said...

Amy, yes- my oldest is reading Eragon, I had forgotten about the narnia book..thanks for the reminder. And the constellation!! thanks for the tip, that will be fun to look for. Rand is 7 so I think the Eragon books might be too long for him at this point, The book we are reading right now is for middle school readers, I was really surprised he is paying attention, I thought it would lose his interest.
thank you for the tips.

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Hen Jen said...

Susanne- oh yes, they have to be toasted!! oh I love bagels. I like garlic bagels too, but I have such a sweet tooth that I can't resist the choc. chip ones.

Joyful- thanks for the book tips, I will look for The book of Dragons, that sounds like something he would like.

Exactly what you said about the big words!!

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Hen Jen said...

OC Mom, thanks for the warning! I know, certain things like dragons and unicorns have to be screened- too bad. I will look for the book you mentioned, thanks for the tip!

Heather, the drum lessons story made me laugh!!

thank you for the list of books to look for-you have given me alot of ideas!! We loved Nesbit's "The railway children", I think we would like the dragon stuff too, I will check my library.
*and- I just bought a book, "Poetry speaks to children", full of poems and a cd with the authors reading them, and Ogden Nash is listed on the cover, I just checked and the dragon poem is in it!! Can't wait!
thank you so much for taking the time to leave book ideas.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Hen Jen said...

Cyndi, can't wait to see your list!

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger TheNormalMiddle said...

Just put mine up Jenny! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



At Home
Who we are: Jenny & Sky, Meg 14, Josie 12, Demi-Sky 9, Amie 7,Bonus Student Teddy 9. Who is with us; 4 hens, a cat named Oliver and Emma the Labradoodle. Why "home is where you start from"? -because as a homeschool family our adventures and dreams all begin and end at home. This year we are schooling 2nd grade, 4th grade, 7th grade and 9th grade. Who we will become: changed from something normal into something beautiful.

My complete profile Family pic-smiling by Christy

child's play

Quotable Home
"It's never too late
to be what you
might have been."
-George Eliot


Best of Home
Blog party'08 intro-about us
Homeschooling in California
Grammar is good, more would be gooder
1st week with Sonlight LA2
The social part of why we homeschool
first-day Homeschool 2008
Homeschool wk. report
Homeschool History
TOG homeschool open house
first day homeschool 2007
kids sleeping-loft project
Zen Jen
Blessings-family photo
CM-Lifestyle of learning
homeschool-Short lessons
Mercy-devotional
Paul,a prisoner of Christ
Chocolate & yoga gift idea
Hymn,our home on Sundays
Guest Hen, Thursday 13
I blog, therefore I am
Book of Kells, darkness into light

Links
homeschool blog award button Facebook page
Homeschooling in Ca
Classical Conversations my view
California homeschool case decision
California Homeschool case links
Homeschool Show and tell
Wondertime Magazine
Tapestry of Grace curr.
Well-trained mind boards
**sonlight homeschool**
Ambleside online
I am Hen Jen at the hive

Blogs I Like
Amy's humble musings
At a hen's Pace
BareFoot Cowboys
BooMama
A Chelsea Morning
Don't try this at home
From California to Singapore
Just Twiddlin'
Koinonia Academy
Living to tell the Story
Mater Magistra
More to this life
One Day More
Rocks in my dryer
Smooth Stones Academy
A spacious place
Urban Mom

Current Reading List
*Jen's
Colossians
The Secret Life of Bees
The Organized Student
The Awe-Manac
*Meg's
Augustus Caesar's World
Story of the World vol.1
The Ides of April
The Eagle of the Ninth
Favorite Poems old and new
*Josie's
Children's Bible Field guide
Story of the World vol.1
Usborne Encyclopedia of world history
Mystery of the Roman Ransom
The Trojan War
Favorite poems old and new
*Aloud to Demi,Amie& Teddy
The Awesome book of Bible facts
Usborne book of World History
Window on the World
Aesop for children
A child's garden of verses
*Demi-Sky's
Beginner's Bible
Keep the Lights burning Abbie
*Amie
Beginner's Bible
Long way to a new land

Photos
waves

got flamingos?

Recent Posts
Friday link love
Praying for Heather
standardized testing, homeschool style
Saturday morning orchestra concert
A mouse, a PM, and Chinese food
Rave dessert recipe
new friends and old friends
Holy Smokes Batman, ewe were fleeced!!
Interview with Homeandtell.com
Cat watercolor and poem

Archives
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011

Home Curricula Picks
Sonlight Lang. Arts
1st week with Sonlight LA
Child's bk of Character
Math-U-See
TOG Odyssey approach
Duma,inspired movie
CM reading comprehension
Short Lessons
Dry-erase-board of ultimate pwr


Miscellaneous

Image hosting by TinyPic


Click here to join

SAHM/WAHM Blogs


The Well-Trained Mind Forums

Home/Join | List | Next | Previous | Random

alt-webring.com


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by: