This Page

has been moved to new address

The knock at the door, and interfering parents

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Home is where you start from
Tuesday, October 17, 2006
The knock at the door, and interfering parents
I thought I would weigh-in on the news story regarding the California teenager questioned by secret service agents for threats she made on Myspace. Read the story here.

I know, of course, that the opinion of a 30-something, conservative, christian, homeschool mom is cutting edge stuff...(if that came out a little snarky, well-I am having a small mid-life crisis after googling my name and finding another Jennifer in a different state who is apparently much more interesting than I am. But, I digress, that is fodder for another post...)

I'm going to address the main parts of this story that bothered me. I think the underlying hint of Secret Service-bashing which leads to hinted Bush bashing is misguided and overplayed. The media stories focus on the mean secret service agents and the little girl with a heart on her backpack.

The totally missed point in all of this is the lack of rights of the parents and their children while the children are in the custody of the school. I wonder while reading news articles on this story how this point is so overlooked. In most states parents do not have the right to be notified of interviews with law enforcement, social workers, counselors, secret service agents, whoever...I'm sad that as a society we just rolled over and let the school systems take parental rights away because, well, they are the professionals and must know what they are doing. Here in California a past Governor vetoed a bill that would have ensured parents be notified before such interviews and this year our legislature killed language in a bill that would have ensured the same.

The assistant principle of the high school involved in this story had this to say... "Parents usually interfere with an investigation, so we usually don't notify them until it's done," The Sacramento Bee reported that 'Sacramento City Unified School District policy calls for parents to be notified but doesn't say whether it should happen before or after a student is interviewed. State law doesn't require parental notification.' Read the whole story here-U.S. Agents question teen by Laurel Rosenhall and Ryan Lillis. (the quotes were taken from this article) er, the bold part is my doing...

I'm sad that parents in this story were so shocked and surprised. I'm bothered that they would take the opportunity to blame everyone else to the media, but not bring to the nation's attention this very wrong attitude in our public schools. The attitude that parents interfere...that children have no rights once on school grounds, that parents are nuisances that should be kept in the dark regarding the material being taught or presented because they just cause so much trouble.

I think the icing on the cake for me had to be the fact the parents knew nothing about their daughter's death threat to the President-over a year ago-on MySpace until the secret service knocked on their door. Add to that their excusing of her behavior, the attitude of -it was wrong, but they took it way out of proportion...This attitude that is played out over an over again by parents at little league games and public schools. This attitude that prompts parents to hire attorneys instead of apologizing for their kids awful behavior. This attitude contributes to the overall bad experience public school can be.

o.k. that was my .2 cents and some change...going to step off my soap box now, and resume trying to look/be more interesting... I googled both my maiden name and married name, and two people came up with my name, more interesting then me! I'm nursing a complex here..

Edited to add: sorry about the links, if you put teenage girl, secret service, threats into google search, it will bring you a link for Sac bee that will take you to the story, for some reason if I copy the link it converts to the page you need to register...if you want to read the whole story, try the google search. Edited again to remove excessive "snarkiness", I hate sarcasm directed towards me...I don't want to come across less then gentle...so I "fixed" my post alittle.

posted at 12:55 AM
8 comments


8 Comments:
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Susanne said...

Just from reading your post, the whole idea is scary stuff. I couldn't get into the links without registering or a password, so I'm not quite sure what she was questioned on but all the stuff you mentioned made my jaw drop. Really what parent would think the school could have such liberties without parental permission or presence. Something interesting to check into for here in Canada.
I'm not sure what the laws are up here. Great alerting post!

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Hen Jen said...

Annie,

thanks for commenting! I know what you mean by blog-reading time, I gave up my morning paper to have time to read blogs...at least it is usually much more cheerful.

blessings,
Jenny

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Hen Jen said...

Susanne, sorry about the links, I thought I had ones you could get right to the article...I will try to play with them. Yeah, it is scary stuff. I get so bothered more with the whole attitude schools seem to have that parents are somehow in the way of what the school thinks is best for the kids. That is what got me into a rant. The other part is that the citizens have let the schools get away with so much for too long...that and also the way some parents also defend their kids even when very wrong, there was a little of that in this story too.

thanks for commenting,
Jenny

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Mrs. Darling said...

Parenting is not for the feint of heart. The schools will do what the parents let them get by with. This is why I pulled my daughter out of public school. As a parent I had to take ownership in her education and I wasnt about to sit by and let the schools ruin her future not to mention her self esteem. Parents eveyrwhere need to step up to the plate and be aware of what their kids are doing.

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Barb said...

This, of course, is why home schooling is becoming the choice of more and more parents. It's pretty snarky of school officials to think it's OK to just take over our children and let parents know what's going on only when they deem it necessary -- only when parents won't interfere with schools. Excuse me?

Don't get me started.

I don't think you're being snarky. At all.

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Becca said...

Yes yes yes!!! The biggest red flag in this story for me was also that one chilling sentence about parents. How are people ok with this?

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Hen Jen said...

Hi Barb and Becca! You know, I think that the public schools are very often their worst enemies- pushing people into homeschooling. Often parents who are afraid to take the step of homeschooling finally do so when they are backed up to a wall and see no other way to end the craziness. I am not trying to trash the teachers, I know some very loving, caring teachers...I think the whole system has gotten out of control though, and now runs to feed itself, not serve the families.
I'm on a roll now...
thanks for commenting, I'm glad I wasn't too controversial with this, thanks for the kind words.

Jenny

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Gayle said...

Oooh, just bugs me that parents are out of the loop when they are in the system.

Great to find another homeschool mom out there.

Gayle
www.homeschoolblogger.com/grace4gayle/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



At Home
Who we are: Jenny & Sky, Meg 14, Josie 12, Demi-Sky 9, Amie 7,Bonus Student Teddy 9. Who is with us; 4 hens, a cat named Oliver and Emma the Labradoodle. Why "home is where you start from"? -because as a homeschool family our adventures and dreams all begin and end at home. This year we are schooling 2nd grade, 4th grade, 7th grade and 9th grade. Who we will become: changed from something normal into something beautiful.

My complete profile Family pic-smiling by Christy

child's play

Quotable Home
"It's never too late
to be what you
might have been."
-George Eliot


Best of Home
Blog party'08 intro-about us
Homeschooling in California
Grammar is good, more would be gooder
1st week with Sonlight LA2
The social part of why we homeschool
first-day Homeschool 2008
Homeschool wk. report
Homeschool History
TOG homeschool open house
first day homeschool 2007
kids sleeping-loft project
Zen Jen
Blessings-family photo
CM-Lifestyle of learning
homeschool-Short lessons
Mercy-devotional
Paul,a prisoner of Christ
Chocolate & yoga gift idea
Hymn,our home on Sundays
Guest Hen, Thursday 13
I blog, therefore I am
Book of Kells, darkness into light

Links
homeschool blog award button Facebook page
Homeschooling in Ca
Classical Conversations my view
California homeschool case decision
California Homeschool case links
Homeschool Show and tell
Wondertime Magazine
Tapestry of Grace curr.
Well-trained mind boards
**sonlight homeschool**
Ambleside online
I am Hen Jen at the hive

Blogs I Like
Amy's humble musings
At a hen's Pace
BareFoot Cowboys
BooMama
A Chelsea Morning
Don't try this at home
From California to Singapore
Just Twiddlin'
Koinonia Academy
Living to tell the Story
Mater Magistra
More to this life
One Day More
Rocks in my dryer
Smooth Stones Academy
A spacious place
Urban Mom

Current Reading List
*Jen's
Colossians
The Secret Life of Bees
The Organized Student
The Awe-Manac
*Meg's
Augustus Caesar's World
Story of the World vol.1
The Ides of April
The Eagle of the Ninth
Favorite Poems old and new
*Josie's
Children's Bible Field guide
Story of the World vol.1
Usborne Encyclopedia of world history
Mystery of the Roman Ransom
The Trojan War
Favorite poems old and new
*Aloud to Demi,Amie& Teddy
The Awesome book of Bible facts
Usborne book of World History
Window on the World
Aesop for children
A child's garden of verses
*Demi-Sky's
Beginner's Bible
Keep the Lights burning Abbie
*Amie
Beginner's Bible
Long way to a new land

Photos
waves

got flamingos?

Recent Posts
With apologies to P.G. Wodehouse...
Thursday Thirteen #6
Wordless Wednesday
Odds and ends...
Burning, but not consumed
hymn
Four word Meme
My cropping weekend getaway
Thursday Thirteen #5
Wordless Wednesday

Archives
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011

Home Curricula Picks
Sonlight Lang. Arts
1st week with Sonlight LA
Child's bk of Character
Math-U-See
TOG Odyssey approach
Duma,inspired movie
CM reading comprehension
Short Lessons
Dry-erase-board of ultimate pwr


Miscellaneous

Image hosting by TinyPic


Click here to join

SAHM/WAHM Blogs


The Well-Trained Mind Forums

Home/Join | List | Next | Previous | Random

alt-webring.com


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by: